Founded in 2012, Dallas Kids First’s (DKF) mission is to help foster meaningful progress within Dallas area educational outcomes by advocating for stronger board governance through data driven budgetary and policy actions by local educational governing boards that put the interests of students first in all decisions. A non-partisan organization, DKF is also focused on raising community awareness about both local educational issues and national education best practices while concurrently organizing citizens and supporting (both strategically and financially) DKF endorsed candidates for the Dallas ISD School Board (160,000 students) who relentlessly prioritize other competing interests behind the immediate needs of students in our schools and the collective communities they serve.
Since 2012, DKF has made an endorsement in 18 Dallas ISD School Board elections, resulting in 78% of those candidates becoming elected Trustees. Currently, a majority of the seats on the Dallas ISD Board of Trustees are held by DKF endorsed candidates.
DKF has been instrumental to helping move Dallas ISD forward through both endorsing and supporting Trustees that were instrumental in the successful passage of the following policies:
- Robust evaluation of teachers and principals and paying them on effectiveness vs. seniority (the largest school district in the nation to do so);
- A policy mandating that DISD serve 100% of all eligible 3 and 4 year olds in quality Pre-K by the year 2025 and make it a budget priority (largest school district in Texas to do so);
- Expanded public school choice options for parents and students
- Eliminated discretionary out of school suspensions for Pre-K through 2nd Grade students
- Brought high quality teacher pipelines like Teach for America and Urban Teachers to the district;
- Passed policies focused on social emotional health training and breakfast in the classroom
- Designated Dallas ISD as a District of Innovation, allowing for additional local control
These policies have resulted in Dallas ISD, which is the 14th largest school district in the nation, being a Dallas County leader in educational gains over the last five years, exceeding both the County and the state of Texas in achievement growth. DKF is a successful organization moving into its 5th year of operation, and with its successes, DKF is seeking to grow its organizational capacity, both in terms of strategic vision/planning and additional resources to fulfill its mission.
Results-oriented governing boards are necessary to continue the strong academic gains currently taking place – the positive future outcomes of our students will impact the Dallas region for decades to come.
DKF is seeking an Executive Director that would be responsible for the overall performance of the entire organization, working in concert with a Director of Operations and a Director of Community Initiatives to set the vision/mission of the organization and the strategies to achieve set upon goals.
Specific RESPONSIBILITIES include:
- Reports to the Board of Directors, maintaining strong working relationship in relaying
organizational achievements and challenges
- Creates a high-performance culture focused on setting strong organizational goals and working
collaboratively towards results
- Sets political and community-based strategy for trustee elections and issue-advocacy
campaigns, while also working to effectively implement set strategies
- Builds/Maintains strong relationships within the community, especially with elected officials
(school board trustees), superintendents, city officials, business leaders, and
- Designs communications strategy in concert with retained communications consultant
- Secures financial contributions from all sectors to support the organization’s growth and
- Manages staff and all associated responsibilities with an “all hands-on deck” mentality
- Knowledge of/experience in building community coalitions and maintaining community relationships
- Knowledge of/experience in motivating and influencing diverse sets of stakeholders.
- Success in supporting campaign structure and practices with track record of in
managing/assisting political and/or issue-based campaigns is preferred
- Education and/or Experience in the fields or areas of Public Policy, Public Administration,
Political Sciences, etc. similar area(s)
- A deep commitment to public best practices and the belief that all children deserve a high
- Strong skills in strategic thinking, team collaboration and inter-personal relationships
- Previous work in public education (of some form) is preferred
- Ability to work with limited supervision, and efficiently manage tasks and time
- Experience fundraising from individuals, nonprofit organizations, and business/corporations
- Experience leading/managing a team of people in an organizational setting
- Experience working in a growing start-up environment is preferred
SUCCESS IN THIS ROLE IS DEFINED AS:
- Build DKF into a community support, specifically for underrepresented populations
- Support endorsed candidates to success in respective races.
- Meet fundraising goals for operations and campaigns
Build a clear vision and strategic plan for next three to five years to be approved by Board
LOCATION: Dallas, TX
COMPENSATION: Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Executive Director Position”